Here we are, on Monday night
And so we went...
The idea began with Cathie finding a suitable pattern (on Ravelry of course) Steek this coffee cozy Now, if I had paid proper notice of the instructions, instead of rushing off on a frolic of my own, I might have avoided problems later on. But I got so involved in the looks of the thing I forgot to check up on the technicalities. I decided to make a cosy for my cafetierre rather than a mug-hug and last week just happened across this lovely mitten pattern by Mary Scott Huff - perfect! All went well at first, I charted the design
And got knitting
Found a vase suitable for blocking
And then it came to the stage of reinforcing the steek (that's where you cut). The trick is to crochet two rows of reinforcement catching in two stitch halves where there should be knitted parallel vertical lines, one of each colour. Just like Claire has here (the original pattern has detailed instructions)
That way you will have secured one stitch of each colour firmly to the other. I realised I had failed to do this but, fingers crossed, all seemed well as I cut. Then, disaster, as I put extra strain on the stitches, picking up the stitches to knit the overlapping opening, one or two of the grey stitches pulled out
|All a bit messy|
But with a little bit of sleight of hand and some firm back stitching along the line of stitch pick ups it is holding steady now.
|inside lined with felt to add extra insulation|
|some fancy buttons and...|