Pages

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Crochet Workshop - Review



I have reviewed books by Erika Knight from Quadrille before so this time I have decided not to dwell on the beautiful presentation, the mat paper and very fine photography by Yuki Sugiura, let's take that as read (Quadrille books are pretty much all highly desirable for their beauty alone) and cut to the nitty gritty.



Crochet Workshop  is for beginners and as I can crochet granny squares but before reading this book had no idea how to read a crochet pattern, I feel I am a good person to try it out.  I really like the clear line drawings,


and the stitch library has lots of ideas for textures I had never seen before, with the standard chart symbols for the stitch alongside


I took the book to knitting group last night, where there are at least two expert crocheters .  There was all the usual cooing over how beautiful the book is and - yes they loved its elegant neutral colour palette.  But we were not quite so enthusiastic about some of the projects.  I think it is fair to say that there are so many good things to say about crochet, its simplicity, the comforting association with our grannies, the way we can use up all sorts of scraps and how a piece of work is perfect to fit into a corner of our bags for long journeys, but the problems arise when thinking what to make.  Throws, cushions and shawls, yes but actual clothing, not so sure.  Erika Knight has come up with some very innovative designs but none of us could quite see ourselves wearing the Asymmetrical Cardigan or the Edgy Scarf.

But there is still plenty of goodness in there, Cathy thought she would like to make the Slipper Boots and we all wished we had a dog so that we could make the Rag Pet Bed.  And we agreed we loved the Texture Throw


For my try out project I had lots of fun using some Habu cotton left-overs and pearl buttons to make the Daisy-Chain Necklace, it took no time to make, just a couple of evenings


It is a little light and prone to tangle (maybe it would have hung better if I had used the stated yarn) and my Biba lamp is more likely to wear it than me but I think it looks very fine where it is.


Quite often when I see a new book I leap into the projects first imagining all the pretty things I will make but this book (published this month at £16.99) is much stronger on the technical aspects of the craft, ideal for a novice like me.

xx

c

1 comment:

Pumpkin said...

Oh wow, as an aspiring crocheter, this looks like the perfect book for me! The photographs do look to die for! Thank you so much for sharing this, I think I'm going to order a copy of my very own.